Friday, October 5, 2007

Getting Organized

After deciding on a result and setting an intention, there must follow a period of action. The best action to take at this stage of any project or challenge is PLANNING. The reasons are twofold; first, Planning organizes your thoughts, so that the actions you take are deliberate, and in line with what you are trying to achieve.

This seems obvious, but many people neglect making a plan before embarking on some action. Most sketch out some rough plan in their mind, but never write it down. Writing it down is critical. Not only does it solidify what you are attempting to achieve, it gives you a road map to refer to on a regular basis.

The second reason to make your first action creating a plan, is that at the moment when you have decided to take up the challenge of a new project, you will be charged with intense, creative inspiration. Let your mind wander far and wide at this point, and write it all down! You can always edit and refine it later. Indeed you will have to, since no plan ever survives intact.

This brings up another important point: Don't get married to your plan. The plan will change. It doesn't matter. All that matters is achieving the result you want, or something better. That is the reason for creating an intention. The intention will steer you to the result you want. The details are irrelevant, really.

The other advantage of writing down your plan while you are creatively charged is that, once the thing is under way, you will experience resistance and negativity. The more you try to do something inspired, the more your mind will rebel against it, and find reasons to not do it. Also, you will have no trouble finding people who are ready, willing and able to quash your dreams.

That is when you get to refer to your original, inspired plan, and revive that positive feeling.

Now as I said, I'm going to lay out what I'm doing here. But that means it will be less of a blueprint than a meandering record of what steps I've tried. Especially since I have no idea whether or not I'll achieve what I'm trying to achieve. Afterwards, I'll be able to look back, and refine which steps were critical, and which were diversions.

Then I'll package it all up nicely and sell it! :-)

No comments: