Friday, October 12, 2007

Breaking Bottlenecks

It's been a ridiculous week; so many things have gone wrong at work. Some kind of weird juju in the air. As a consequence, I haven't been able to devote much time to Internet marketing this week.

I have, however, been slowly and meticulously breaking bottlenecks that have been holding me back. Sometimes, the learning curve can be so daunting that nothing gets done at all. At that point, what I like to do, is really analyse the thing and determine which element (or elements) is holding up all the rest. Once that is identified, I attack it.

This week I've been getting up at 5:30 and 6am so that I have a couple of hours before I have to leave to work on my Internet marketing. For three mornings in a row I've been demolishing bottlenecks, but one kept holding me back.

Finally, this morning, victory! A mistake of syntax, that's all it was! I had added an underscore where there wasn't one. For days I've been been reading that same piece of code and never never noticed that I really wasn't reading what was there, but rather ignoring something in my mind.

Did you notice the redundancy in the last sentence? If not, take a second look, maybe a third.

There are two extra words that don't need to be there. That is what I'm talking about. Sometimes you just don't see the obvious. That's why you've got to pace yourself and take a break. Then get back and break a bottleneck.

No comments: